Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Teacup Tuesday September 7th, 2010. Treasure from Mike's Barn!

Hello Bloggies! I am back again for Teacup Tuesday with Martha at

and Terri at


Thank you ladies for hostessing this weekly gathering of teacups.

I live in eastern Ontario Canada. The closest city is Belleville and it has many thrift stores and antique stores. One of my favorite antique stores is "Funk & Gruven A-Z".



Mike, the owner, also has a barn literally packed full of "stuff in the rough" in West Lake out in Prince Edward County. I have been meaning to go to the barn for years and finally made it this past Saturday. I have a blog posting for that trip so I will keep it short here and just say that I found some treasures!! One of these treasures was a cup and saucer!

The barn is full of stuff and there is a shed full of stuff and shelves outside with boxes of stuff tucked away. I moved some pieces of old wood away from this shelf and started rooting around in this box.




And searched in this old drawer full of stuff also.  I found what I thought was an exquisite teacup and saucer and a pair of creamy white ceramic dove bookends. The teacup was chipped, so Mike gave it to me!!  Thank you so much, Michael!! I will always treasure it!!  The dove bookends were $5.  I'll show them in a later posting.

I got home and carefully washed the cup and saucer right away!!
They were made by William L. Lowe of Court China England.  This set was made between 1928-1930.  The pattern is very busy and elaborate. There is lots of what looks like handpainted gold edges and flowers and scrolls. The flowers are pink and violet with a very pretty green and a bit of yellow. The teacup has a wavy/crimped rim as does the saucer.  I think the handle looks like a little elf's ear!! (You can click on the pics and zoom in for a closer look)
I found the following information in an Ebay listing


"William Lowe Court china was based in Longton, North Staffordshire "the home of English fine china" from 1874 - 1931
They were based at the Sydney works on the corner of High St and Sutherland Rd Longton"


I decided that I needed to take some closer pictures, so you could see the design and the vibrant colours!!




Is it not gorgeous??!!


True "eye candy". The design reminds me of a stained glass window in a cathedral.
I hope you are having a lovely Tuesday browsing through all the teacup postings.
Take care!
Warm hugs, Laura.

P.S. I just had to tease you with a pic of the dove bookends.

Love, Laura!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Laura :) What a wonderful treasure you found in that sweet teacup! It does look like stained glass; beautiful! Your Dove bookends are just too sweet!! We have just 1 Thrift store near here, but I haven't been to it in quite some time; perhaps I may do so this Thursday...hopefully there will be a special treasure waiting there for me :)

    Happy Tea Tuesday!!

    Warmest hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    Thank you for your kind comments about my son's guitar. He is trying to determine if that is a profession for him. Although he loves it, he has a passion for police work...so making guitars may just end up being a side/hobby business.

    Anyhow...your teacup is gorgeous. I love the ruffled rim. And the colors are so beautiful. What a find...and spending not a dime for it is amazing!!

    I love to dig through thrift or antique stores. Oh, the treasures you can find!!

    Oh, those bookends are beautiful.

    Have a lovely day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find, and for free! It is a very elaborate cup with its ruffled rim and bold colors. All that gold trim is gorgeous.
    Thank you so much for sharing with us today.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'Cathedral Window Cup" ! how perfect! And how lovely! Great find, and thanks for sharing such a beauty!
    blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you can't beat the price of free! Lovely cup...is the chip on the lip? That does cause trouble using but if chip is elsewhere on the set I would use anyway. I also use some stained cups soemtimes, but only with friends who realize that stains mean loving use by others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cup is stunning and fantastic,it also remind me the window of a cathedral with that vibrant colors
    You have a small treasure ...I love it!
    Thank you very much for your kind visit,meeting you has been a pleasure as you have beautiful Tecups
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing teacup, such detailed decoration!

    ReplyDelete